Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Remembering Dad


Remembering Dad

Memorial Day for me will always be the day my Dad passed away.  He died 19 years ago on May 25, 1992 and it happened to be Memorial Day, which if fitting as he served in the Marines during WWII and was very proud of that.  All the veterans deserve a huge thank you, lots of hugs and love and maybe even some gifts, because the gift they give to us is FREEDOM and that is just priceless. 

I miss my Dad – We were very close, I could tell him anything and I had the honor and privilege to be with him on the night he died.  He was trying so hard to hang on.  I know he was worried that we wouldn’t be okay without him, but my sister Julie and I rubbed his feet and hands and assured him that we would be okay and that we would take care of our Mom and it was okay to let go.  It was hard to say that, I wanted him to stay – I wanted more time to hang out – I wanted him. But to be fair he was so very sick and life was so difficult for him that I couldn’t be as selfish as to beg him to stay in a place he no longer belonged.  It was time for him to go meet up with his dad and mom and wait for the rest of us to follow.  I know that I will see him again.  And I often feel him near me and for this I am grateful and feel comforted.  My nephew has never met my dad, but we have told him so many stories he talks like he knew him personally.  The most amazing thing is that Andrew is so much like my dad at times it’s uncanny.  I love you Dad, say Hi to Grandma and Grandpa.

Loving you

Pg 
:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment